Thursday, July 24, 2008

Day 77 - Benjamin

Nobody called Ben, "Benjamin" except me and probably his grandmother. Benjamin Lawrence was a year younger than me and in the sax section. For some reason I got in the habit of calling him by his full name; I used all three names as if he were an assassin. I got a kick out of it. It was so proper. I wish I was disclosing full names, I think everyone else would get a kick out of it too, his middle name will have to do.

Benjamin was not a 'Benjamin' per se; he was definitely a 'Ben' adding to my amusement with his full name. I'd like to add that I asked several times if Ben was bothered by my using his full name, and he said he wasn't. Also, when I'd say it (with flourish, or sometimes an awful British accent) Ben would get this adorable grin on his face.

Is there a moral or a lesson to this impression? I think it's a friendly reminder to search out and appreciate adorable grins in the mundane aspects of our lives.

1 comment:

kali said...

i love reading your stories...