Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 58 - William

William was Keith's best friend. I don't think he liked me. He was always silent when I was around and he didn't seem like a quite guy in general. In any movie or tv show he and Keith made, he was just as loud and obnoxious as Keith could be.

It bothered me that I couldn't be friends with Keith's friends, because he so easily fit in with all of my friends. I had a lot of theories on why William wouldn't like me. The strongest candidate was something that happened before Keith and I were together.

I think it was the end of our sophomore year and a group of us were sitting around Mr. Smith's classroom talking about what classes we were taking next year. At our high school there were levels of classes, which were (essentially): basic, advanced and for college credit; they were called 'L', 'K', and 'AP' because school administrators think it makes kids less aware of the levels. I don't remember the conversation exactly, but I know what I said. The 'L' classes I had been in were boring and I was always explaining what was going on to my peers. While talking about this I specifically remember saying the phrase, "L kids". It sounds awful, like I meant they were stupid and so beneath me. That's how William took it. He didn't shout at me, but he raised his voice and put me down for it. I felt horrible and tried to apologize and eat up my words. But you can't take back what's already out there.

It's possibly William just wasn't comfortable around me, or was a quiet guy unless the camera was on, but I'll always blame my stupid mouth.

No comments: