Monday, July 14, 2008

Day 67 - Mr. Mattair

I took Calculus in high school and it was supposed to prepare me for an AP test that would get me out of two semesters of college math. It was a hard class. Mr. Mattair was my teacher. He was really nice, seemed to get a kick out of his students and explained math really well. The first semester I pretty much understood everything. The second semester I got lost.

With only two months left of high school, I started failing tests. Keith tried to help me, but he was busy with a lot of different classes and movie projects. Mr. Mattair tried to help me, but I just could not grasp Calculus II. Thankfully, he bumped my final grade from what should have probably been a D to a B minus. I think he felt bad for me and knew I was really trying. I had always done well enough in math, I was even in the Math Club: Mu Alpha THeta. I appreciated what Mr. Mattair did so much. If he hadn't helped me out, I would have had to change classes for the last month or not graduate. Mr. Mattair got me through school.

1 comment:

lauren said...

During senior year, I took Cal II as well. Our teacher knew that we had total senior-itis and that this was our sixth year of high school math, so she totally let us slide. In fact, she gave us all 100s for the year. At the time, it was totally awesome because "Holy cow, I don't even have to work for this!" but in the long run I think it hurt me because I didn't pass the AP test and had to take those classes in college anyway. ~lauren