Thursday, July 17, 2008

Day 71 - "K"

K and I were never close, despite being in band for four years together and having a lot of the same friends. I always felt like I was being judged by her. She was a very cute, smart, sweet girl, but I rarely felt she was being genuine with me. It was as if a wall was erected between us and she was concealing it with her smile.

I didn't have a clue what it could be about until after graduation. I found out she and a few of her friends assumed I was obviously having sex because I had a serious boyfriend and wasn't overtly "Christian" (My high school was home to a lot of students who preached Christianity without truly hoping their peers would convert. My interactions with these kids left a bad taste in my mouth and I was bitterly against Christians who were vocal about their beliefs for along time.). It wasn't the fact that they thought I was having sex that made me mad, it's that they judged me because of it, treated me differently, and spread the rumor.

It's a shame. It's a shame a small group of people turned me away from a faith that they were trying to promote. It's a shame I wasn't judged by anything real. It's a shame that this is the lasting memory I have of K. She really was a sweet girl.

P.S. This is the first time I'm trying out an alias, because I don't think this person should be judged by my story... I really don't think anyone should be judged by what I say about them, but that isn't possible. However, this impression was based partially on what someone told me (someone I trust very much, but it's still hearsay).

No comments: