Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Day 69 - Randi

Randi was my best friend before I moved to Colorado when I was 5. We shared a deep love for New Kids on the Block and watched their videos all the time. When I moved, we became pen pals. As with all of my pen pal experiences, the letters become less frequent until you both stop completely.

Skip ahead ten years to high school marching band. At away football games, some of the band officers visit the home team's band and give them signs and candy and then the home team's band comes over to our side. While at the opposing sides, you get introduced and then hang around and talk to the band. At one of our away games, Randi climbed our drum major stand to be introduced as a flute player from the other band.

I couldn't believe it! I hadn't heard from Randi in years and it had been even longer since I'd seen her, so for her to just be standing up there in front of me was astounding. I knew she lived in Texas, but I didn't know she lived closer enough for our schools to play each other. I'd like to say we stayed in touch after that, but it's not true. We e-mailed back and forth a few times and our parents send each other Christmas cards. Now that the New Kids on the Block are back together, I've been thinking about Randi again. I wonder if she loves NKtoB as much as I do still.

No comments: